Active Award 5
Junior Swim and Survive
To achieve this award you must be able to:
1. Safely perform a fall in entry and exit from deep water.
2. Demonstrate a forward somersault in the water.
3. Demonstrate the eggbeater kick. Arms or a kickboard may be used for support.
4. Swim 100 metres continuously using correct stroke techniques:
a) 25 metres freestyle
b) 25 metres survival backstroke or sidestroke
c) 25 metres backstroke and
d) 25 metres breaststroke.
5. Dressed in swimwear, long pants and long- sleeved shirt, perform the following continuous sequence:
a) Survival sculling, floating or treading water for 4 minutes
b) Perform a feet first surface dive and swim underwater for a short distance
c) Swim slowly for 6 minutes using three survival strokes, changing strokes after each minute. Clothing may be removed.
6. Correctly fit a PFD, enter the water using a compact jump, float for 30 seconds and then climb out of deep water.
7. Demonstrate a shallow dive.
8. Perform a reach rescue using a rope, towel or item of clothing.
9. Answer questions about dangers in the aquatic environment.
Swim butterfly for 10 metres demonstrating a recognisable stroke and attempt correct breathing technique.
WATER SAFETY TIPS
#15 Throw a Float: Throw a flotation aid and reassure the person in trouble. Never enter the water.
#16 Fish with a Friend: Always fish with a friend and never turn your back away from the ocean.