Active Award 6
Swim and Survive
To achieve this award you must be able to:
1. Perform a stride entry.
2. Demonstrate a backward somersault in the water.
3. Demonstrate eggbeater kick with sculling.
4. Swim 200 metres continuously using correct stroke techniques:
a. 50 metres survival backstroke or sidestroke
b. 50 metres backstroke
c. 50 metres breaststroke and
d. 50 metres freestyle.
5. Dressed in swimwear, long pants, long-sleeved shirt and jumper, perform the following continuous sequence:
a. Enter deep water using a feet first entry
b. Submerge feet first, swim underwater on back looking up at the surface
c. Swim 50 metres quickly as if escaping from a dangerous situation and then swim 50 metres slowly
d. Float using a buoyant aid for 1 minute
e. Swim slowly demonstrating survival strokes for 6 minutes
f. Scull, float or tread water for 3 minutes waving for help intermittently. Remove clothing in deep water.
6. Correctly fit a PFD while treading water and then swim 25 metres using survival strokes. Climb out of the water.
7. Perform a throw rescue using an unweighted rope over a distance of 6 metres.
8. Answer questions on water safety and personal survival techniques.
Swim butterfly for 15 metres using an efficient stroke and correct breathing technique.
WATER SAFETY TIPS
#17 Dive Safely: diving can be a tricky skill to master. Always check the water depth and make sure it’s clear before diving.
#18 Be River Safe: Beware of strong currents. If caught in a river current, float feet first with the current.