Active Award 7
Senior Swim and Survive
To achieve this award you must be able to:
1. Demonstrate an entry technique selected by the examiner.
2. Demonstrate an efficient eggbeater kick without use of arms.
3. Swim 300 metres continuously using correct techniques:
a. 100 metres freestyle
b. 50 metres backstroke
c. 50 metres breaststroke
d. 50 metres sidestroke and
e. 50 metres survival backstroke.
4. Dressed in swimwear, long pants, long-sleeved shirt, jumper, shoes and socks, perform the following continuous sequence:
a. Dive and swim a distance underwater to simulate an escape from a sinking boat surrounded by oil
b. Swim a further 40 metres freestyle as if escaping from a dangerous situation
c. Remove shoes while treading water and then swim slowly 50 metres breaststroke
d. Float, survival scull or tread water for 5 minutes and wave one arm occasionally as if signalling for help; reassure any nearby candidates by talking to them
e. Swim slowly for 200 metres using survival strokes, changing strokes every 50 metres
f. Remove clothing in deep water.
5. Fit a PFD correctly while treading water, swim 100 metres using survival strokes, demonstrate HELP technique and climb out of the water whilst wearing the PFD.
6. Perform a throw rescue using a weighted rope over a distance of 10 metres within a time limit of 1 minute.
7. Wade to a partner and pull them to safety using a towel or item of clothing as an aid.
8. Answer questions on water safety and personal survival techniques indicating a thorough knowledge of basic concepts.
Swim butterfly for 25 metres using an efficient stroke and correct breathing technique.
WATER SAFETY TIPS
#19 Safe Boating: Always wear a lifejacket when boating and be well prepared before heading out.
#20 Be Cool: Be cool but not a fool around water. Accidents happen when people ignore rules.