Active Award D2
Discovering Water Awareness
To achieve this award you must be able to:
1. Perform a slide in entry and exit the water using the edge. May be assisted.
2. Move from a back float to a front float and to a back float again.
3. Demonstrate treading water arm sculling action while standing.
4. Demonstrate breathing to the side in a horizontal position, repeat action (kickboard optional).
5. Swim 5 metres freestyle with no coordinated breathing.
6. Swim 5 metres backstroke with ears in the water.
7. Move through the water for 30 seconds while holding a flotation aid and kick to safety.
8. Swim through a submerged obstacle.
WATER SAFETY TIPS
#5 Stay Afloat and Wave: If you are in trouble in the water, float on your back, remain calm and wave your arm to attract attention.
#6 Be Sunsmart: Wear a hat and sunscreen when in the water and avoid long periods in the sun.